Pumpkins are rich in vitamin A, fiber, magnesium, zinc, and potassium. The seeds are rich in protein and plant based fatty acids. The fruit pulp contains L tryptophan, a chemical compound that is noted to trigger feelings of well being that aid depression in a natural way.
- 1 cup pumpkin flesh provides 30 calories and almost 200% of your Vitamin A for one day.
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds provides 280 calories with 12 grams of fat, but 6 grams are polyunsaturated heart healthy fats.
- 1 cup pumpkin flesh at 10.6 mg of vitamin C (The recommended daily amount is 60 mg)
- 1 cup of pumpkin flesh has 3 grams of dietary fiber, 2 of these grams are soluble fiber. (Helpful for regulation of cholesterols and blood glucose)
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds provides 22.9% of your daily zinc needs (8mg for women and 11mg for men is the recommended daily amount) and 44.7% of your daily magnesium needs
- 1 cup of pumpkin flesh provides 284 mg of potassium (4700 mg is the daily recommendation) helpful for cardiac tissue health, gastrointestinal function and skeletal muscle contraction.